My boyfriend Jim is an excellent cook, and one of my favorite recipes of his is his refried beans. Easily made vegetarian or vegan, they totally blow canned beans out of the water, and are really quite simple to make.
Recipe and hot pictures after the cut!
- A couple of slices of bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Pinto Beans, rinsed
- 1 Can of Chicken Stock
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- Chipotle and/or Liquid Smoke (optional)
- Spices: Salt, Cumin, Chili Powder, Black Pepper
This is how you do it!
- Put the bacon in a cold skillet on low heat.
- Render the fat.
- Take the bacon out. Put the onion in!
- Cook the onion til it’s translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the beans and the garlic. Stir.
- Crumble and add the bacon and stock. Stir.
- Bring to a simmer and mash the beans using a large spoon or potato masher.
- Stir for a uniform consistency. Simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Season to taste with chipotle, spices, and liquid smoke.